Sunday, April 12, 2009

AMERICAN TEEN


When we first got the assignment to blog about the "Movie that Changed My Life" I was very hestitant as it was hard for me to think of a film that effected my view of the world. However, this weekend I watched the documentary called "American Teen". I can honestly say that the characters and the stories that are told in this dramatic and emotional film effected my life in more ways than I ever expected.

This film looks at what its really like to be a teenager in High School. Like most movies about this topic "American Teen" portrays the 5 common cliques or stereotypes in high school: the jock, the nerd, the popular girl, the heart throb, and the rebel. However, in contrast to similar films it shows each person's story and shows what its like to live in their stereotype. 

This movie changed my life firstly because of the fact that it broaden my movie watching horizon. I had never been a big fan of documentary films, however after seeing "American Teen" I can safely say that this is no longer the case.

Also, this film had a strong effect on my life in that it showed that everyone has their own story and no one is what they appear to be. Take the main character Hannah, who was known to be a confident, out-spoken, artistic, and rebellious student. However, we learn that she is on medication for depression and is not as strong as she appears to be.

The film "American Teen" is one that I feel all high school students should be exposed to as it gives them something to relate to and connect their own personal experiences to. It profiles the up's and down's of high school life that we all will experience. So whether your the jock, the nerd, the rebel, the heart throb, the prom queen or "unlabeled" all of us can identify with American Teen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment